It's a dead given that most of us don't have that much patience in teaching our doggies the proper way of potty. So, here are some steps I use in order to speed up the learning process.
Aside from consistency, some techniques do help in increasing the familiarity of a ritual. I'm sure most doggy owners have used these, but let me just share it to those who are interested.
1. Same Spot- Try to use the same spot every time your puppy needs to go. Assuming you've already learned his pre-potty signs, always go to that same spot where you want him to pee and poop. Either in the yard or a litter box, your puppy will smell ammonia (or his urine) and will immediately recognize that this was where he last went.
2. Same Time- Well, you don't need to be right on the dot. But a schedule can greatly speed up his understanding of the potty schedule. It doesn't matter if whether it's directly after eating or an hour later, just stick to the schedule as much as possible.
3. Same Door- This wouldn't be a problem if the house has only one door to reach the backyard. Using the same door at potty time is a good way to teach the puppy how to signal you when he needs to go. Once he is old enough, he'll probably stay near that door once he needs to go.
4. Same Process- Don't just stand there and expect him to go potty by himself. Lead the way and direct him to the spot. A leash during the first couple of weeks can help in making the puppy understand where he has to go. It also prevents him from going somewhere else or scooting away.
5. Same Post-Potty Praise- Always remember that dogs incorporate the owner's direct reaction to their deeds. If you think he did a good job for going potty in the same spot and schedule, praise him! A good dog deserves his rewards.